Years ago I coined the term- career hobbyist. This title was needed because I have such diverse experience with jobs, platforms and whatnot. I felt this title encompassed my lack of desire to do the “9 to 5” route and instead fail massively multiple times at creating my own career. It has not been a glamorous ride but it has been jam-packed with individuality and perseverance.
To better understand here is a list of jobs/gigs/hobbies/faux careers I have held/loved/survived/endured.
- That time I was a DJ – which I frequently forget.
- Manager of a dance company.
- Ballet, tap, jazz, gymnastics instructor
- Salsa dance teacher
- Assistant Wedding Planner
- Almost all the various restaurant positions, including manager, which I will never do again.
- Children’s Librarian
- Adult Librarian
- Yoga Instructor (children and adults)
- Tai Chi Instructor
- Children’s book author
- Published author of historical essays
- Professional Organizer
- Interior Designer
- Chakra Therapist
- Holistic Health Coach
- Event Coordinator
- Recycling Pick Up Service
- Fine Jewelry Retail
- Freelance content creator
- Social Media manager
Many people do not find this to be a respectable way of life. Obviously, those opinions matter none to me. I view my business ventures as pieces of pasta- one will eventually stick to the wall. This is my risk taking side, my adventurous side.
Can you hear Frank Sinatra singing “I did it my way” or is that just me?